PAT & Fixed Appliance Testing

PAT & Fixed Alliance Testing

Via the the changes to the Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment also commonly known as “Pat Testing” in the 5th Edition Code of Practice there has been some changes.

As a result, under the CoP Portable and Fixed appliances have to be tested . So, what is a fixed appliance ?

Image of a wall heater
Wall Heater
  • Cookers
  • Electric Ovens
  • Gas/Electric Hobs
  • Storage & Wall Heater

Landlords are classed as the Duty Holder and have to risk assess their property. They can define the retest intervals via a risk assessment . So, if the property is in good condition and has good tenants then testing to 18 months or 2 yearly is acceptable . Also the testing company may no longer log a re-test date on the equipment label.


Documentation is supplied via electronic form and includes the following:-

  • PAT testing certificate.This records the equipment status and test results.
  • PAT equipment register.This is used as an asset register.
  • PAT faulty equipment register.This in addition helps to document any faulty equipment for audit purposes.
  • PAT repaired equipment register.This records any repairs for audit purposes.
  • PAT tester calibration certificate.This is to certify that the test instrument is within calibration.
  • City & Guilds. Qualification of the individual conducting the test This confirms the tester is qualified

Click on these links below for an example of documentation.

PAT equipment register  This is a asset register

PAT testing certificate  This records the test results


How do I as the Landlord  decide the testing  frequency.

You need to assess the condition of the property and electrical equipment and what type of tenants you have. Having long term tenants who look after your property you may feel the test interval should be 18 months. But you may have a steady turnover of tenants and feels it should be every 12 months

As the landlord do I have to be present during the testing.

No just give me the tenants contact details and I will organise the access and report back to you.

As a landlord do I have to test the tenants electrical equipment.

Only electrical equipment supplied by the landlord should only be tested. AEW creates an equipment asset register to ensure there is an audit trail for any third party.

What if an item needs repaired.

The likes of a damaged plug top does not mean an automatic fail. This can be replaced during the testing. Then I record it on the repaired equipment log for audit purposes.

What is the most common repair.

Fitting the correct fuse rating in a plug top.

Do you keep the documentation on a computer file.

Copies are on a computer that is regularly backed up onto a memory stick. I also email  you a pdf copy of the documentation for your perusal and records.

The property is managed via a letting agent is that a problem.

No as long as you inform them you wish to use another contractor that suits you.

Do you organise access with the letting agent or tenant.

Mainly I organise access with the tenant. But can inform the letting agent if required.

Will you also copy them in with documentation.

Yes I can do if you authorise it.